Friday, February 25, 2011

Archives



Automne/Hiver 1997-1998







'Hiroshima Chic'



Boy was I very excited to come across Rei Kawakubo's garments for Comme des Garçons. I rarely get a glimpse into her early archives since I have no way of locating them. Same goes for Maison Martin Margiela and Ann Demeulmeester. But voilà! I found them through hour and hours of scouring blogs and such history sites and so on.

Let's face it: we will never understand Kawakubo's intention or message, but from what we can draw is that she intends to exploit the idea that people shouldn't have to see beauty to understand beauty. It is seen in every waking life. That is one of the things I am fascinated with her. Her fears: "Suppose everyone like my collection and says, 'The show was great' and 'The clothes were beautiful,' then I become very uneasy. I would hate myself for having made something so easy to understand."

No comments:

Post a Comment